Geography Curriculum Overview
“Geography is the subject which holds the key to our future” Michael Palin
Being part of the Academy Transformation Trust family, we ensure our curriculum is ambitious and enjoyable through knowledge and skills developed throughout their time at Bristnall Hall. It is inclusive and knowledge rich and it is broad in terms of coverage and (at least) encompassing the breadth of the 2014 English National Curriculum. We ensure it meets the needs of our students and helps to develop character, personal pride and the highest moral standards.
In Humanities and Social Sciences, we aim to create global citizens equipped to make independent judgments, who are aware of the past, present, people and future of the world around them. Through questioning, investigation and critical thinking, BHA learners are discovering their place in the world, as well as their own values and their responsibilities. The curriculum focuses on developing knowledge and skills which will give learners a firm foundation for their further study and later life. Furthermore, it allows all learners to have the best possible chance to feel confident in their own abilities and build on previous learning.
At Bristnall Hall, in Geography our curriculum intent is:
- To promote a love of learning about the world
- To develop a curiosity about the world and ask questions about the world around them.
- To develop a holistic knowledge of the subject at Key Stage 3 which will be built on at GCSE.
- To enable learners to practise different geographical skills and acquire specific geographical knowledge.
- To enable learners to apply geographical knowledge and skills to new contexts and places.
- To be accessible and engaging for all learners.
- To explore Geography inside and outside of the classroom.
- For students to develop a responsible attitude towards the world.
- To encourage learners to adopt a life-long learning approach.
- To develop skills that are transferable across all subjects.
- To develop skills that are useful for employment or further education.
- To encourage learners to develop a growth set mindset towards their learning.
- To enable learners to be able to display their BHA behaviours for learning.
- Mr. Ramsey (Area Leader – History teacher)
- Miss. Griffiths (Assistant Area Leader – History teacher)
- Mr. Thickett (Lead practitioner Geography)
- Mrs. Westwood (Subject leader Geography)
- Miss. Bi (Subject Leader Sociology)
- Miss. Mulloy (Subject Leader RS)
- Mr. Devine – Geography
- Mr. Bhatoe – Geography
- Miss. Holden – Geography
- Mrs. Winters – History
- Mrs. Sanders – Humanities
Useful websites/resources for students and parents
- https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/zrw76sg – BBC bitesize for KS3
- https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/examspecs/zy3ptyc – BBC bitesize for GCSE AQA
- https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geography/gcse/geography-8035 – AQA GCSE Geography Specification
Please click here to see our Geography Topic intent